Illegal off-road driving
Respect Icelandic Nature
It is illegal to drive off-road in Iceland!
Whilst traveling around the country, the highest respect for the Icelandic environment must be shown. It’s good to remember to take nothing except photographs and leave nothing behind except footprints.
- It is illegal to drive off-road in Iceland. Only stay on roads and marked trails.
- Check out the road map and see where the roads and trails are.
- Get information about the appropriate routes at visitor centers, and from rangers or staff.
- Find out in advance when mountain roads are likely to be open, along with other related information, at visitor centers or here.
- By uprooting or driving on moss, damage is caused that can take nature decades to repair.
- Walk around a short distance or turn around if you can’t go any further by driving
- Fines or imprisonment can be expected for offenses